Translate

Where's the Kale?

I haven't posted for a few days, not sure what I wanted to share.

It's frigid-cold outside. I'm inside, looking out from my window. The yard is covered with snow. The trees are bare. It looks bleak. The wind is blowing, making it seem colder than the actual temperature. Nothing much is happening, except...

there are animal tracks in the snow in all directions. I see exactly where the rabbits and squirrels were scampering. There's been a lot of action under the bird feeder. Just now, one large bird flew overhead; I didn't see the bird, but I saw its shadow flying across the snow.

If there are favorite moments of a winter day, they are usually at night when I take our dog out, and the darkness is brightened by the whiteness of the snow, the air is sharply brisk, and there is a hush over everything that is not as evident in other seasons. Those are quiet precious moments.

I've slowed up a lot during the past month. I've been spending many more days at home because of Covid precautions, because of the cold, because of a painful ankle. It seems like not much has been happening. I know otherwise.

Some thoughts I become aware of only in stillness. Some things I see only by the loving imprints left on my heart. I hear the whisperings of the wind when all other sounds are silent. I know the bird is there because I see its shadow.

Winter may often seem long, bleak, and dreary, however the season is very much bright and alive when I pause to notice. The signs are there. This gives me hope, and hope motivates me.

So now I'm looking out toward the garden. Where's the kale?? The rabbits got to it. I see their tracks in the snow where I had planted kale last spring. What I did not harvest in the fall, I just left there where it froze. The rabbits have had a feast on what I planted many months ago. I wish I could've seen them. Even though I didn't see them, I do know they were there.

snow covered garden with one stalk of kale

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13

4 comments:

  1. Though I'm feeling the cold a bit this winter and I'm definitely not a fan of ice, I do like winter and am glad God gives us this season! As with all things that God created, winter is the balance to the summer. Much in our area is now dormant, resting up for the next season of frantic growth and activity! That may be why the nighttime may seem so quiet - even the humans are hunkered down. This is no time for partying or sports all night under the lights!
    I like the images you gave of the unseen birds and animals still being active and busily going about their tasks as the world appears still. The Holy Spirit of God is doing the same. We don't always see or hear Him, but He is always watching, teaching, and protecting. If you look (love) closely with the eyes of your heart, you will see His Shadow as He circles around, and His prints constantly by your side.
    Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I'm feeling the cold a bit this winter and I'm definitely not a fan of ice, I do like winter and am glad God gives us this season! As with all things that God created, winter is the balance to the summer. Much in our area is now dormant, resting up for the next season of frantic growth and activity! That may be why the nighttime may seem so quiet - even the humans are hunkered down. This is no time for partying or sports all night under the lights!
    I like the images you gave of the unseen birds and animals still being active and busily going about their tasks as the world appears still. The Holy Spirit of God is doing the same. We don't always see or hear Him, but He is always watching, teaching, and protecting. If you look (love) closely with the eyes of your heart, you will see His Shadow as He circles around, and His prints constantly by your side.
    Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. We don't actually SEE the Holy Spirit at work, but if we look, we do see his shadow and his imprints all around us. And at times, we experience his power... I also like the variety of the four seasons, and one season blending into the next. When we lived in El Paso, I remember stopping to think - "what season are we in?" Very little - if any - snow there. Blue skies and sun most every day. Compared to the upper midwest and northeast, to me it was like summer all year round. I missed the four seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never lived outside of New England but have often wondered what it would be like to not have the evidence of the seasons changing. I imagined that it would be hard to appreciate the "blue skies and sunny days!"
    Just yesterday, after daily Mass, I was speaking to person who I hadn't seen for a long time. We caught up a bit and spoke of some of the trials we had been through and how good God was for getting us through. We ended with the realization that if God didn't allow the difficult times, we'd really have no reason to turn to Him! We do need winter cold to appreciate the warmth of Spring!

    ReplyDelete