Translate

The Living Word of God

When I was in high school, I had a Latin teacher that I truly admired. She was very intelligent and she had a twinkle in her eye, like she was always seeing humor, even in serious situations. On a special occasion she gave me a card. Because it was handwritten, I felt it was a message just for me. It said that she hoped I would read Psalm 119, like a hundred times.

I remember looking at Psalm 119 and feeling disappointed. It wasn't especially inspiring. It was all about the law. I was young and at that time, I was all about freedom.

Today I was looking for a particular verse in the Bible and I turned to Psalm 119. As I began reading, the meaning began exploding to me. I think I could take separate verses and read them over and over, maybe a hundred times, and be inspired by them. What a difference for me today from then.

I've been thinking about the many ways God continually speaks to us. It's what he does. Whether we acknowlege it or not, his presence is everywhere, and he speaks through his presence. When we honor his presence, we are in a position to receive his word to us. And "...my word that goes forth from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will ...achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:11. His word contains the power to bring what he speaks to fruition. It could be immediately, in days, weeks, or even years.

When I make a wise decision or do a good deed that accomplishes much, it may well be the fruit of God's word that I received even years ago. Like Psalm 119 that my teacher shared with me - I finally have some understanding so very many years later.

A friend of mine had a huge plant that I admired. She gave me a few cuttings. I was to put them into soil, water them and watch them grow. She said it would take about six months. Time went on and on and I saw nothing happening. She said, "Be patient." It was nearly a year later that I saw some new green growth emerge at the base of one cutting, and new growth appearing at the top of another. Finally! 

A few years later, I now have new plants (one I gave away), and - yes - I am still waiting for new growth from two other cuttings. My friend said, "It might not look like it, but there is a lot happening under the soil." 

This is a lesson for me about God's word planted within us. We need expectant hope. In God's perfect timing, even when it seems to be a long time coming, his word to us will bear fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment