Translate

Don't Miss the Waterfall

My husband and I were driving along an unfamiliar rural road. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I had seen a waterfall - not where I would've even expected to see one. "Wait- let's go back. I think I saw a waterfall!" 

We turned around and drove back in the direction from which we had come. "There! That's where I saw it." 

There was a small area where we could park alongside the road. We got out of the car and I opened my phone camera. We walked up as close as we could to see the rushing waters flowing down the rocks. It was beautiful. We paused for a few minutes to enjoy what we were seeing, then we got back into our car and continued on.

In the busyness of our days, we often rush ahead and miss the beauty of the scenery around us. The beauty is there if we just pause and look for it.

My resolution today is to stop, take a beauty-break, and look around me. What do I see? Where is the beauty in this moment? I don't want to pass it by. I want to stop, to enjoy, and say "Thanks, God."

waterfall gushing between the rocks and pooling at the bottom

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me that beauty is all around us and to take time to thank our creator for it! I can see it more just after a snowstorm or when the birds are enjoying our feeder. But on the gray days of winter it is harder for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had similar thoughts, looking out the window in front of the kitchen sink. I was loading dishes and thinking, "Where's the beauty in all of this?" Then I saw a small glass on the window sill where I had put a cutting from a basil plant. There were the tiniest of white blossoms on that cutting. "There! That's the beauty," and I took a few moments just to admire that small green plant cutting and the perfectly formed blossoms. Beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Father Harlow told us in a Homily once that while driving around Vermont in November, he was struck by the beauty that God placed in the grays of the bare sleeping trees. He, as most of us do, had always thought of November as a dull ugly month to get through, but at that moment God showed him the beauty of the sleeping forest. He resolved to see the beauty and rejoice in every November going forward!
    At his word, I noticed it, too! I also think that I like the varied green foliage of spring more than the brilliance of the fall leaves!

    ReplyDelete