Translate

Faith and Football

For years I've enjoyed watching NFL football, especially the Packers. This season I've been doing so with even more attention. When I learned that Derek Carr, the star quarterback of the Raiders, is also an evangelist, and that there are videos of him sharing about his faith, I definitely wanted to hear what he had to say. I watched one of him being interviewed a few days ago by Pedro Adao.

Even though Derek has a passion for football, and he has attained the fame and wealth of being an outstanding quarterback, he says, "In my heart I am an evangelist."

He spoke about a time he was in a Chipotle restaurant and a young woman came up to him asking for a picture. His immediate thought was to tell the woman, "Jesus loves you." He said that he didn't want to do it, that he would feel super awkward saying this. More than that, however, he knew that he wanted to be obedient to that inspiration of the Holy Spirit. He simply said, "Jesus loves you," and the woman was touched by his words. Tears began to flow and, Derek said, she accepted Christ.

In the video Derek also said that one of the very first things he does when he wakes up each morning is to reach for his Bible. He asks, "Lord, what do you have for me today?" "Where do you want me to go?" "Show me the conversations you want me to have." He looks to the word of God for wisdom to give him direction and strategies.

As a quarterback he is leader of his team the Raiders. The wisdom he gains by his daily reading of the Scriptures is applicable in the locker room and on the field. He says that, with so much on the line, and with aggresive competition, anger easily builds up among the players. One of his gifts is that he can bring a sense of calm to heated situations.

I will keep my eye on Derek Carr and his career. Now I will watch his games, keeping in mind that how he plays and how he conducts himself, is from his strong foundation of his relationship with Jesus.

                          derek-carr-1080p-hd-wallpapers

I am very inspired by his humility and his faith. 

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! We hear so much press about these super star players and their bad behavior. I'm glad one is being recognized for something positive! I hope all the young people who enjoy football will see how he is different from the rest and will chose him as a role model instead of those who are out running amok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek Carr is sponsoring The Altar Conference April 8 - 9, 2022, in Las Vegas. The theme is combatting fatherlessness in America. Thousands are expected to attend. He is using his fame to further causes he cares deeply about. Many players, I think, can't handle the fame and wealth that comes to them, and they do "run amok." Others get personally involved in service projects, like many of the Packers who try to make a difference in the lives of those with cancer. It's good to see when sports heroes can inspire, especially the young people, and when they can give Christian witness, even simply making the sign of the cross out on the field. (I saw this not long ago when watching a football game, and this was an inspration to me, that the player was acknowledging God.)

    ReplyDelete