Translate

Pressing On

I'm a Packers fan. This season's playoff loss was stunning and devastating. Devastating for fans, devastating for the team. Devastating because this really seemed to be the year for the Superbowl.

How to deal with defeat? Fall back? Or rise from it?

I began considering when in my life I experienced personal defeat. Well, actually - it's now.

It was after a cancer diagnosis, chemo, and oncology rehab that I began running. Never did I honestly think that as an adult I could ever run a mile, much less a 5K. But I did it. And I was surprised how much I enjoy running.

I used to think that running was for other more athletic people. I never even considered it because of a ski accident long ago causing a broken ankle. The foot has had limited flexibility since then. So I was amazed when I began running short distances. I didn't know I could do it until I tried. And I learned we can do so much more than we think we can.

The past few days the ankle has been painful, even when walking around the house. No doubt it is arthritis that set in. It's been painful before, but I've always recovered. This feels different. This feels defeating.

Today I watched Green Bay Packer Running Back AJ Dillon give an interview after last night's loss. He described it as "heart-breaking." As to how he picks himself up from this defeat, he says, "always look to how to get better." He is not dwelling in defeat. As to a future Superbowl, he says, "I'm going to do everything in my power to get that done, however we got to do it, whatever it takes...I don't know how we're going to get there - it's going to happen."

AJ Dillon has unshakeable confidence. Experiencing defeat is not going to deter him from his goal.

So I am not giving up on running. I will continue to do whatever it takes. Ice, heat, massage, gentle exercises. "Always look to how to get better." This is the hopeful response.

One of my fav Scripture verses: ...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3: 13-14.

Pressing on. Forward and upward. Rising from defeat.

a smiling runner wearing number bib, standing by the lake

It's going to happen.

2 comments:

  1. You are a fighter, Shirley, and I will continue to cheer you on from the sidelines! (I tried running - it's not for me!) I'm assuming you have had someone check out the ankle? My daughters are (were) both distance runners and sometimes an orthotic in the shoe can be a life changer! May Our Lord bless your travels (running and otherwise) and lead you to where He wants you to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've been to PT for the ankle. Yesterday I returned to doing the exercises they recommended, and I was actually surprised that the ankle felt better after doing them and icing. Thanks for reminding me about the orthotics. I have have them, but have not used them as yet. This should also be helpful

    ReplyDelete