Translate

In the Kitchen

I was reading about how our mission as Christians is to expand the Kingdom of God. So I asked the Lord, "How are you asking me to expand your Kingdom?"

"Begin in the kitchen." 

The kitchen! Really? (I was hoping to hear of a more lofty mission.) 

"The kitchen. Write it down." 

I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I am aware that I sometimes complain - if not out loud, but to myself - of the loads of dishes and pots and pans that need washing. And of how bored I can be doing those routine meal preparations, like peeling potatoes and carrots, and how I'd rather be doing something else. And, honestly, I don't really like unloading the groceries from the car and putting them away (especially after a Costco trip!). 

I began thinking about the kitchen being the heart of the home where we gather, share conversations, are nourished. Is our kitchen as clean and welcoming as it deserves to be? 

The kitchen is definitely a place where the Lord can work on changing my attitude in doing chores. And it's a place where I have daily opportunities to be creative with meals and to show my family and friends how much they are valued and loved. 

When I am alone in the kitchen and loading the dishwasher, I do praise and thank the Lord. Moments of drudgery can truly become moments of joy. 

I am reminded that St. Therese of Lisieux once said, “to pick up a pin for love of God can save souls.” I can certainly set the table and load the dishes for the love of God. 

May His Kingdom come, His will be done on earth as it is in heaven.



4 comments:

  1. How right you are! Our culture talks about food as a "love language." I personally love to feed people! I'm not a master chef by any stretch of the imagination, but I love to cook the basics. Like you, I also am not as enthusiastic about the clean up! Fortunately, Ed comes to my rescue when I start to get buried in dishes!
    Scripture tells us that Jesus used food or food references in teaching the people - the multiplication of loaves (Matt 14 and John 6), his instruction to Peter to feed His sheep (John 21:15) and of course the institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper. He and his disciples when frequently "breaking bread" together.
    Cooking, serving, and clean up - It can all be working for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once heard that "Food is God's love made edible." I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said and right now for me, so appropos. I've got my granddaughters and their boyfriends over and they expect.a big meal.because.thait's what I always serve them. I love the cooking part. The cleaning, not so much. At the end of the night my back screams. But it is always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seven grandchildren, though none old enough for boyfriends, but the preparation and cleanup from meals is exhausting! As I age, I realize that I need help if I want to continue to feed the people I love. Enlisting their help gave me a new opportunity to connect with them in a different way! The result is that they take pride in helping their Nana, they have learned to see someone's need and act on it, and they've learned the joy of service!
    Be brave and trust your Grandchildren. Tell them what you need and watch what happens! Give them a chance to show their love for you as you show your love for them! This also gives you a chance to talk about God's love for all of us!

    ReplyDelete