Translate

What Do You Want Me to Discover Today?

There's a priest I know of who each morning asks the Lord, "What do you want me to discover today?" The ideas that come to him guide him throughout that day.

I've picked up on this, and now I also frequently ask the Lord, "What is it You want me to discover today?"

This morning what came to mind was the account of Jesus' final moments when He was dying on the cross. His mother Mary and his disciple John were standing close by, together with Him. Jesus said to John, "Behold your mother," and "from that time the disciple took her into his home." John 19:27.

John was a disciple of Jesus from the earliest days of His ministry. And John lived a very long life, according to Biblical scholars. How very much he accomplished during his lifetime as a Christian. It was at the time of Jesus' death, however, when the first thing he did was especially profound. He provided for the mother of Jesus so she would not need to be alone. He loved her as his own mother. He offered her caring, loving hospitality. How much this must have meant to Jesus.

As I thought about this, I think what the Father would have me discover today is the immeasurable value of truly loving those who are closest to me, to do whatever I can to show loving care. It means doing those routine chores for the family, like preparing meals and doing laundry, etc., not just as chores to get done, but as ways to honor those in my life. It's a way God provides for His love flowing in me and through me to grace the lives of others. There is immense value, even in my routine houseold responsibilities. To God be the glory.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful! It sounds exactly like what the Blessed Mother did! When Jesus was a boy, she and Saint Joseph kept Him safe and cared for at all times. They fled to Egypt when threatened by Herod: Matthew 2:13-15 "...the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Rise, take the child and his mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I tell you. Herod is going to search for the child to destroy him. Joseph rose and took the child and his mother by night and departed for Egypt. He stayed there until the death of Herod, that what the Lord had said through the prophet might be fulfilled, “Out of Egypt I called my son.”" They also searched for Him when they became separated in Jerusalem: Luke 2:41to 52 "Each year his parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety. "And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” But they did not understand what he said to them. He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus advanced in wisdom and age and favor before God and man." After Joseph died, she continued to keep watch, traveling with Him and staying close right to the foot of the Cross.
    When Jesus entrusted His Mother to John from the Cross, He also gave her to us as well! We can call on her help when we are in need and use her example as a role model. Back in 2013, I choose to rely on Mary in a special way called a "Marian Consecration." I trust her intercession to lead me to Jesus. I don't worship her, but instead, I ask her to pray for me to her Son, just like I ask my friends to pray for me when I have problem. I go to Jesus through Mary, His Mother.
    Three books that I use to learn about Marian Consecration are:
    1. 33 Days to Morning Glory, by Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC. (easy - a good start)
    2. True Devotion to Mary, by St Louis de Montfort (most challenging of the three)
    3. Echo of God, by Fr. Lance Harlow (Text of "True Devotion to Mary" with an in-depth commentary - my favorite)

    ReplyDelete