Translate

Steady or Shaky? How's Your Balance?

A sense of balance is a much needed ability. When I lose my balance, it's easy to fall over. Falling puts me at risk for injury, like bruises, broken bones, or even a concussion.

One of the after effects of chemotherapy that is still with me is some loss of balance. One night I got out of bed in the dark and I fell over, hitting my side against the sharp edge of a table. Oh, the pain! I had thought I was moving straight ahead, but helplessly I began falling sideways. It took at least a month for the soreness to leave me. 

Balance is something I no longer take for granted.

So I am doing balance exercises . I am practicing walking heel-to-toe. I bought a spongy floor mat to stand on, one foot at a time, for as long as I can without grabbing that chair next to me for support. My balance is improving.


To keep my balance, it helps to focus on something directly in front of me. When I turn my head to the left or to the right, it's easy to lose it. If I try walking in the dark, it is also much easier to lose balance. 

I realized that there's a spiritual lesson here about following the Lord. When I keep my focus on Him, my steps are steady. Once I start looking at distractions that pull me away from Him, I put myself at risk for falling. And when I am distracted, I cannot see my destination, much less get there.

Walking in the darkness of sin is when I am really out of balance. Jesus says that He is the Light of the world, and those who follow Him do not walk in darkness. How true! The more closely I follow Him, the more light - goodness, peace, joy, love, generosity, etc. - there is in my life. 

And so I look to Jesus and I follow Him, one step in front of the other. I walk in His light. When I am distracted and begin to lose my balance, my brothers and sisters of my faith community are there to give me support, His support that I need. If I fall over, they are there to help pick me up and to help me heal.

Just as I am improving in physical balance, hopefully I am developing spiritual balance. I want to stand firmly and to walk forward - not with hesitation, but with confidence. I want not only to walk, but to run to my destination. Jesus is the destination, and He is the Way to get there.

Jesus, keep my focus on You. Keep my steps steady. Keep me from falling. As I move ahead by following you, increase my faith and my confidence. Let your holy light shine upon me that I may walk not in darkness, but in your light of life. 

Our world is in need of your light. Especially when we experience darkness, confusion, and doubts, and when we have lost our way, may your bright light shine upon all of us.

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice for us all - spiritually and physically! Thank you, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete