Translate

What a Difference a Day Makes!

This is the Easter season.

On Saturday I had prepared for the family to visit. Since we are not able to get together as often as we'd like, we sometimes celebrate holidays, birthdays, and good news all on the same day. So on Saturday I cleaned, I decorated, and I baked, even trying out some new recipes with great success.

Easter Sunday - what an amazing day! Our church was filled with so many people and the songs were uplifting and joyful. Afterwards the family arrived at our home for an early afternoon dinner. We had a fun time and, for a grandmother, there is nothing sweeter to treasure than hugs from the grandchildren.

Easter Monday turned out to be a sunny day. I looked out at the backyard to see green grass, a blue sky, and yellow daffodils beginning to bloom. This is Spring! I spent time gratefully working in the garden for the first time this season.

Today is Tuesday. I awoke and looked outdoors to see heavy, wet, sloppy snow covering everthing! Even the electricity went out, probably because of power lines downed by the snow. What a difference a day makes.

I noticed that even my mood has changed. From the joy of a day or two ago, it seems that concerns, problems, and worries want to creep into my thinking. What a difference a day makes.

How appropriate that I read this morning, "Why are you downcast, my soul? Why groan within me? Hope in God. I will again praise Him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 42:11.

My mood may change and my circumstances are always changing, but our God is unchanging. He is forever kind, loving, and merciful. And He has chosen to be a Savior for me. Times of discouragement, worry, pain, and even my inadequacies and sinfulness - all remind me that I do need a Savior. Our God is a Savior who is always available.

And so I come into the presence of Jesus who has experienced the depths of despair and pain and brutal death on a cross. His lifeless body was carried into a tomb for burial. His executioners and even his friends thought that it was the end. Their hopes were dashed. Those who had been closest to Him were confused and so very sad. However, it was not the end. It was a new beginning, for on that first Easter Jesus rose to a brand new life, conquering every evil, even death itself. He offers this life to me, to every person who ever lives.

Once again I turn away from and I renounce my sins, I release my worries and concerns to Him, and I gratefully receive the grace of the new and transforming life He shares with me. This lets me embrace the present moment with hope and look to the future with confidence. This is my joy, that He truly is my Savior. 

From Holy Saturday and death in the tomb to Easter Sunday and the experience of new and glorious life. What a difference a day makes!


Alleluia!

2 comments:

  1. What a difference a day makes! Amen! Alleluia! One of my friends always responds to truths like this by saying, "We should embroider that on a pillow!" Yes! And let's imprint this on our hearts so that we remember it always.
    Thank you, Lord, for each new day regardless of what it brings, for each new day is an opportunity to see what You want us to see; to hear what You want us to hear; to do what You want us to do; and to learn what You want us to learn!
    Thank You, Lord, for our sorrows for without sorrow we would not understand joy. Thank You for our trials for without them we would not grow strong. Thank You for our heartaches for without them we would not know compassion. Thank you for all that this world You created brings into our lives, for without it we would not know You. If we did not know You, we could not praise You. If we did not praise You, we could not love You with all our hearts, souls, and minds. What a loss that would be for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, on another note, I knew that storm was coming! Last week, the town sent the street sweeper through our neighborhood to clean up all the sand the plows had left behind last winter. It happens every year! As soon as they finish, the last snow of the season falls, and the plows and sand trucks are sent out again!
    I took pictures to text to our family with the message "Happy 3rd day of Christmas!" then "Oh, wait, isn't this Easter?" Many responded with comments about how pretty it looked! Perspective is everything, but since I knew it would just melt, I agreed! The green leaves of our iris plants, daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths soon poked through in defiance and their fortitude was a great example for all of us in times of distress! The color contrast and their strength were indeed a beautiful to behold!
    Spring snow is also another example of God's sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete