Translate

Lesson from the Fig Tree

I never liked figs. Fig Newtons - ugh! A few months
ago, I mistakenly bought a big bag of dried figs,
thinking they were dates. I didn't read the label.

Fig trees were very common in Biblical times.They
lined the roads leading to Jerusalem. Even today,
figs are abundant in the Middle East.

There's an account in the Bible about Jesus actually 
cursing a fig tree. It happened in the Spring of the
year as he was heading to Jerusalem with his disciples. 
Jesus was hungry and he saw a fig tree in the distance.
There were leaves on the tree, but it was not yet
the season for ripe fruit. He went up to it looking
for figs. There were none. He must've been very
disappointed. He said to the tree, "May no one eat
fruit from you again." Matthew 11:14. The fig tree
withered.

The lesson I take away from this is that the Lord
expects "good fruit" from me at all times. It may
be the kindness I extend to others, generosity,
helpfulness to those in need, prayers, etc. I sometimes
say, "This isn't the right time." Or, "the circumstances
aren't quite right." Or, "I'll do this at a more convenient
time." 
I often want to wait for the "perfect time" to 
get things done.

Scripture also says, "preach the word; be prepared in
season and out of season..." 2 Timothy 4:2. So when
I am inspired to share an encouraging word or make
the effort to do something good for others, even
though the time doesn't seem quite right - and I
question myself - I need to just do it. Otherwise it
may never get done. 

About that bag of figs, I ate them even though I 
didn't like them. By the time I got to the last of the
figs, I discovered I actually developed a taste for
them. I no longer dislike them.

Maybe that's something else I now have in common
with Jesus. We both like figs. 😊

3 comments:

  1. I like both of these ideas! I tell my grandchildren that they need to try new foods three times before they decide they don't like it. I even teach them a method for trying a new food, but I won't outline it here. Sufficient to say, whatever the "new" thing is, we need to focus on the details, approach with a positive attitude, and refrain from making a snap judgement! Perhaps we should use this approach for the "new" ways God is asking us to do His will?

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is always leading us into something "new." To follow Jesus is an adventure.
    Another thought about that fig tree. It was no doubt a healthy tree, full of green leaves and looked like it should've had figs on it (good fruit). Jesus may have been warning against outward appearances - seeming or pretending to be someone one is not. According to another Scripture verse, "by their fruit shall you know them," (Matthew 7:16). It's not about appearing to be a good person, but about actually serving one another in ways that make a beneficial difference in the other's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God does see into our hearts. He knows what's there, even when we don't! I think we often fool ourselves into thinking we are doing something for another's benefit when in fact it is more for ourselves. The evil one is very good at helping us with that. Lord, help me to see myself as you see me. Amen.

    ReplyDelete