Translate

Great Expectations

When I was reading my Magnificat prayer book, one line from the writings of Pope Benedict XVI stood out for me. It was about person feeling hopeless who said, "No one is expecting me."

"No one is expecting me."

I wondered, who are the people in my life who expect to see me, to meet me, to be with me? How does that make me feel? Honored? Respected and valued? Loved? (If I am honest, sometimes I may be a little nervous that I will not measure up to their expectations!)

Whom do I expect to meet during the course of my day? Do I look forward to encounters with others?

I do really look forward to seeing my family and grandchildren. I want them to know how much I love them.

What about the "strangers" I happen to pass by? Do I leave the house with anticipation of whom I may providentially meet? Maybe someone at a restaurant? Or the gym? Maybe in line at the post office? Or at the grocery store, etc., etc.


How can I show those who are strangers to me that they are deserving of honor and respect? That they are welcomed? Truly each person is valued and loved by God. How do I extend the love of God to others?
 

1 comment:

  1. This is so powerful! We can never know the impact our words or actions might have on someone. This started me thinking about the people we see at Mass every Sunday. There are the familiar faces of friends and acquaintances, but there are also those whose faces and/ or names we do not know. Every time I have made the effort to speak to that new person behind me after Mass, I have seen a face light up with a smile. The same thing happens each Sunday, when I wave or say "Goodmorning" to the woman who sits in the back corner pew each week. Simple things can make people feel welcome, seen, and just maybe, expected?

    ReplyDelete