Translate

"Stop interrupting me!"

So often I am in the middle of doing something, and someone comes along and interrupts me. When I begin watching a favorite program, the phone rings... Just as I sit down to eat, the dog decides she needs to go out... I'm in the middle of a really good book and my husband needs help with something - now... I'm praying and someone walks in on me...etc., etc. It sometimes seems like my life is full of interruptions. Too often my response is to feel aggravated or resentful.

I became aware of this while reading Jacques Philippe's book Interior Freedom and how he describes St. Therese of Lisieux's perspective on being interrupted. She had very little "free time" in the convent, and just when she did find the time to write or to paint, someone would come in and ask for her help. She decided to choose interruptions in her life, to welcome them. Therefore she would not become aggravated or resentful. She remained in peace. When, however, no one would interrupt her, she accepted this as a "charming present" from the Lord.

Yesterday I decided that I, too, would welcome interruptions. And yesterday I was really challenged; it seemed like I was interrupted more than usual. I still felt somewhat resentful of the demands made on "my time," but I was reminded that "my time" is to serve others and not myself.

Lord Jesus, Thank you for the gift of time and for the opportunity to work on projects and to serve others. Please keep reminding me of the Scripture "the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve," (cf. Mark 10:45), and that if I am to follow you, I am also here to serve others, and not myself. To you be all the glory now and forever. Amen.

St. Therese of Lisieux, pray for us.




1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about interruptions! Sometimes I even interrupt myself! I carve out a time to work on a project and then see a load of wash that needs to be started, dishes in the sink, mail that needs to go out to the mailbox - then suddenly it's time to make lunch!
    I believe Jesus felt this way at times, too. He'd try to teach His followers something and they'd go off on tangents unrelated to His message. They'd be traveling and be stopped by a person who needed healing, or a group would form so he'd stop to teach.
    These things never seem to bother Him. He was able to see all these interruptions as part of His Mission. Your goal of "welcoming interruptions" sounds a lot like what Jesus did! I think you're on the right track!

    ReplyDelete