Translate

Who Do You Trust?

Today I opened a new book written by my friend Mark, My Questions God Answers. Chapter 1, page 1: "Is God Safe? Can I Trust Him?"

I paused to reflect. Was there ever a time when I trusted someone and that person betrayed my trust? Have I ever been let down by someone? How did that affect our relationship? Have I ever been disappointed by an organization or institution that I was part of? Have I ever felt disillusioned by the church? By church leaders?

Who is it I trust the most? What is the difference this makes in my life? Who is the first person I ever trusted? 

For me the first person was my Dad. He took me by the hand and led me out into the world. The "world" was the barber shop where he got his hair cut and winked at me from the chair. It was the bakery where he let me pick out any cookie I'd want (a sugar cookie!). It was the restaurant where we'd meet my mom who was a waitress and short order cook. I'd go anywhere with him.

Dad kneeling, looking at, and holding the hand of a young girl who is on roller skates and clutching a chain link fence with the other her other hand


Back to Mark's book. Is God safe? Can I trust Him?

The only way to really know is to give Him the opportunity to demonstrate how trustworthy He is.

Just as I trusted my Dad when I placed my hand in his, I will trust even more for Father-God to lead me. And so I begin again to lean on Him. Maybe a place to start is to let Him know (well, He already knows, but I need to tell Him) about the times I've felt disappointed, betrayed, disillusioned. What will happen when I bring to Him the hurts I've experienced, even things I wouldn't want to share with anyone else? Can I trust Him to "catch" me when I "let go?" What will happen? What difference could this make? I can only know when I dare to try.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord,
'plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you a hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11


1 comment:

  1. I can tell you what will happen! God will heal those hurts, bring you peace, draw you closer to Him, and then send you out to bring those you meet home to Him and His love! I dare you to try it! :-)
    By the way, if you let go of Him in any way, you only need to glance behind you because even if you let go, God hasn't - He's holding on to the hood of your jacket

    ReplyDelete