Translate

Who Moved?

Back in the day most cars did not have dual seats for drivers and passengers. There was a front seat and a back seat. I recall a joke dating back to that time about a husband driving with his wife. The wife looked at her husband and said, "Remember when we were first married and how much you liked us to be sitting close to one another?" And he said, "Well, dear, I'm not the one who moved."


It's a little like that with ourselves and God our Father. When he feels distant to us, he is not the one who has moved.

I've been reading the book The Father by Fr. Mark-Mary Ames, CFR. I'm reflecting on chapter 2 about how the Father infinitely delights in caring for us his children. I am imagining a group of children happily playing in the yard, and a father watching them having so much fun. When one of the children is hurt, however, the loving father runs to that child, takes the child into his arms, wipes away the tears, and does everything he can to take away the pain. 

The Father is drawn to us in our need, in our wounds, in our weaknesses and sin. He is drawn to us because it is his delight to care for us. It's what a loving Father does, and he is most loving.

Sometimes we may have a tendency to want to avoid God when we think we are not perfect enough or holy enough to be with him. But in a way it is just the opposite. It is our need that draws him to us. We are created to depend on him. Sometimes the only prayer we feel we can pray is "Help!" And that prayer is always answered. It is his delight to help us.

Maybe this is why in the Gospels we read that Jesus was seen to be with prostitutes and other sinners. In a way he was drawn to be with them, as the Father is drawn to be with those who are in need.

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

May we take delight in loving and serving others, as our Father takes delight in loving us.

2 comments:

  1. This is true! Your words remind me of the "Footprints" poem:

    One night I dreamed a dream.
    As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
    Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
    For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
    One belonging to me and one to my Lord.
    After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
    I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
    I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
    especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
    there was only one set of footprints.
    This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
    "Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
    You'd walk with me all the way.
    But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
    there was only one set of footprints.
    I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."
    He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
    Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
    When you saw only one set of footprints,
    It was then that I carried you."

    When trials come, we too often are angry with God, the situation, and all around us. We push everyone and everything away, which makes the difficulty worse. I try to find peace in those moments by remembering God's Merciful help in past trials. I recall the lessons I learned during those hard times and Thank God for His Blessings. With this mind set, I try my best to accept the current woe - to stop wasting energy fighting the reality of it - and put my trust in Him. It's not easy and as it is with any earthly medicine or therapy, it must be done repeatedly until healing is achieved. Healing does come, it may come with changes in life, but holding firmly to Our Lord's Hand, it does come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy of the spouse moving away, then complaining of the distance to people not feeling close to God and putting the blame on God.

    ReplyDelete