Translate

"Heads or Tails"

My Dad often carried coins in his pocket. He had a nervous habit of putting his hand in his pocket and jingling the coins. My Mom would become annoyed with him when she knew people would hear the jingling coins. However, my Dad had grown up poor, and this may have been a way of reassuring himself that, as long as he had coins in his pocket, he no longer lived in poverty.

We don't carry coins in our pockets as often anymore, especially since we rely on credit cards for many of our purchases. But coins are indispensible in sporting events. There's the coin toss to determine who starts with the ball. The call is, "Heads or tails." 

When I was a kid I'd like to call, "Heads I win, tails you lose." (Clever, if anyone would fall for that.)

Today I was thinking that, in a way, my life is like a coin. On one side there is joy, peace,and an optimistic sense of well-being. On the opposite side are the trials and sorrows and everything that tries to bring me down. I like to think that - whichever way "the coin" lands each day - it is "Heads I win, tails you lose," you being anything that tries to separate me from the Lord. The truth is that whatever situation I am in, He is always with me - good times and in not-so-good times. That's a win-win situation.

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8: 38-39.

Thank you, Father, for your eternal love for each of us. May we be totally confident in your love in good times and in difficult times. May we trust in you and in your unfailing love in every situation, with Jesus, and in the Holy Spirit of Love. Amen.

Penny, dimes, nickels, and quarters suspended against a dark background.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Hold tight to the hand of Our Lord! On good days, I spend at least an hour with the Lord. On other days, he has arranged for me to be doing other things and my prayer becomes scattered throughout the day and amid the pots and pans! Either way, as long as I am present to Him, He is present to me, and it works!
    I have been asked many times, "How do you have time to pray so much?" My response is always, "I don't have time NOT to!"
    I have found that not taking time to reach out to Our God and Savior is like saying, "I don't have time to put gas in my car; so, I'll just walk - I don't want to be late!"
    Thank you, Lord, for filling my tank each and every day!

    ReplyDelete