Translate

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in First Grade

I remember a lot about first grade. How some kids cried on the first day, not wanting to be separated from their parents. The little cartons of milk we drank each morning. The pink and green paper letters of the alphabet that we put together to make words. And I remember a blue catechism book with stories and questions with answers to memorize.

    "Why did God make you?"
    "God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him,
    and to be happy with Him forever in heaven."

That response which I learned in first grade pretty much sums up the whole purpose of life. So very many years later I continue to strive to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him. Happiness with Him begins here and now.


In Him I live, and move, and have my being. Acts 17:28.

1 comment:

  1. Being a convert to Catholicism, I missed learning these questions and answers. My husband can still recite them! There is so much wisdom contained in therein. Perhaps it's time to bring them back? Actually, my daughter, who homeschools her five kids, uses the Baltimore Catechism with to teach them the faith - along with other materials!

    ReplyDelete