Translate

Birthday Parties

When I was in grade school, my Mom had birthday parties for me with my friends from school. She would say that the kids always left with more gifts and treats than what they brought. She was generous and the parties were fun for everyone.

I remembered this when my daughter told me about my grandson's birthday party. He invited three of his friends to celebrate with him. My daughter made not one, but four birthday cakes! so they all had their own cake with candles. When those candles were lit, the whole room became bright. They had fun blowing them out, one kid at a time. I think they will always remember the party with four birthday cakes. They celebrated not only one, but each one's birthday! 


 When my Mom to prepared for so many of my classmates (and often their moms) to celebrate my birthday, it took a lot of planning, time, and energy. I can appreciate that now that I am an adult and having hosted parties myself. For my own daughter to bake not one, but four cakes, and to uniquely frost each one, I am sure that took much time and effort. Both my Mom and my daughter exemplify generosity.
 
I note that the Gospel reading for today is also about generosity. See Matthew 20:1-16. The parable is about the landowner who paid a just wage to those who worked a full day in his vineyard, and he generously paid the same amount to those who worked for a shorter time. There are many lessons that can be drawn from this story, as from any parable, but the message about being generous is key.
 
Generosity takes not only resources to share, but planning, time, and effort to make it possible. It takes deliberate intention. For it to be effective, one should know the needs and desires of the other to make a positive difference in his or her life.
 
There are countless ways to be generous - with time, talents, possessions, and by listening, forgiving, even doing "random acts of kindness." It takes a deliberate decision and often sacrifice.
 
I think it's time for me to plan a party. Yes, a party with lots of cake for everyone! Or at least I can decide to become ever more generous - and make a habit of a "random act of kindness" each day to brighten the lives of others I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment