Translate

Reaping What We Sow

It's almost time to plant the garlic. I love growing garlic. In autumn, put a single clove about four inches into the ground and in late summer reap a whole bulb of garlic.

All I need is a small area of soil. Once planted, the clove grows by itself with no help from me.

Obviously, when I plant a clove of garlic, I won't reap potatoes or onions... I'll reap several cloves of garlic contained in one bulb.

Yesterday I received a prayer ministry manual from friends. At the very begining of the study it speaks of "reaping what we sow." When we sow goodness, "we set in motion forces" that cause goodness to grow and expand. If we sow evil thoughts or deeds, however, the result is evil. That is how God's laws work.

So today I am trying to be more aware of good thoughts I have about others, and of even very small things I do to "plant goodness" wherever I go.

I also know that there is no evil that is insignificant. Like the small clove of garlic that is planted in the soil and is hidden where no one sees it, it is growing. It is growing like the clove that naturally multiplies into several cloves. Even the smallest unkindness towards others has consequences.

Lord God,
Thank you for all of creation,
even for the smallest of garlic cloves
that multiply for harvest.
By your Holy Spirit
please inspire me to think good thoughts today.
Inspire me to do good works -
even a simple smile, kindness, respect, a prayer.
Please multiply all the goodness that I sow,
that your Kingdom come, your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven, for your glory.
Amen.


1 comment:

  1. Amen!
    This reminds me of the parable of the wheat and the weeds. I heard on EWTN, yesterday, that the wheat and the weed seeds that were sown in the farmer's field looked very much alike as they grew. That is why he let them grow together. At harvest time, the wheat plants "bowed their heads" as they swayed in the breeze. The weeds, which were poisonous, stood erect and proud. It was easy then, to tell the difference!
    May we always be the good seed, humble before our God!

    ReplyDelete